Education

Briefings

"If a shoe is lost and the client is willing to wait for me to fix the problem at my convenience, I usually don't charge extra when they have the shoe," says Michael Chisham. "If they don't have the shoe, I try to use an old shoe that will do the job and charge $10. I leave old shoes at the barns so clients have them in case of an emergency."
Read More
Local Association Spotlight

Filling the Middle Ground in Farrier Education

Virginia practice offers innovative farrier internship program

Paul Goodness has long been a big believer in helping young farriers learn more about the trade. And now, he and his partners in the Round Hill, Va., shoeing practice, Forging Ahead, have taken that belief one step further by setting up an unusual apprentice program that some other farriers might want to look to as a good working model.

Read More
Cover
Soring

Time To Eliminate Soring

The use of new technology is going to make it easier to detect soring and pressure shoeing violations during show inspections
Whether soring is less of a concern than it used to be pretty much depends on whom you are talking with. But many of the folks who maintain that soring and pressure shoeing are still major concerns in the Tennessee Walking Horse (TWH) industry and with several other breeds, readily admit that the practice has gotten much more sophisticated and tougher for inspectors to identify.
Read More

Three Powerful Summit Presentations You Don’t Want To Miss!

Outstanding footcare professionals will deliver the latest ideas on critical topics at the 6th International Hoof-Care Summit
Built around an exciting theme of "Expanding Your Hoof-Care Horizons," February's 6th annual International Hoof-Care Summit will send you home with the latest tips, tricks and techniques from 49 outstanding farriers, equine veterinarians and hoof researchers to help you improve the quality of your work and business efficiencies in 2009.
Read More
Rising Star

"Rising Shoeing Stars" to be Recognized

This program will honor outstanding students who are earning a living as farriers 3 years after graduation from one of North America’s more than 60 public and private horseshoeing schools
Six leading farrier industry suppliers and American Farriers Journal are co-sponsoring a new recognition program designed to promote the importance of further horseshoeing education while encouraging young shoers to be successful in their careers.
Read More
Cover
Soring

Serious Challenges To Ending Soring

It will take a large amount of additional dollars and more industry and government intervention to solve today’s pressure shoeing and soring concerns

While soring has been banned for 38 years under the government’s Horse Protection Act (HPA), Donna Benefield maintains there’s been a lack of desire to bring about needed change.

Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings