Business Practices

Steve Teichman
Shoeing For A Living

Going for the Gold Every Day

Pennsylvania farrier Steve Teichman’s clients benefit from the approach he’s polished on the international circuit
The "fall-back" date from Daylight Saving Time is still a few days away, so Steve Teichman is preparing his truck for his day of Shoeing For A Living in the dark here in Chester County, a short drive southwest of Philadelphia.
Read More

Briefings

"If a shoe is lost and the client is willing to wait for me to fix the problem at my convenience, I usually don't charge extra when they have the shoe," says Michael Chisham. "If they don't have the shoe, I try to use an old shoe that will do the job and charge $10. I leave old shoes at the barns so clients have them in case of an emergency."
Read More
Shop Talk

Mustad, Delta Join Forces

The Mustad Hoofcare and Delta Horseshoe families are joining forces to create an integrated team dedicated to the hoof-care industry and to the welfare of the horse.

Read More
Double-Barreled Hoof-Care Advice

Know the Warning Signs

Whether it’s a particular client or horse, learn to spot the critical signs that may spell trouble in the future
At last winter’s fifth annual International Hoof-Care Summit in Cincinnati, two veteran farriers tackled a number of frequently asked questions about the footcare industry. For the second straight year, this “Point/Counterpoint” discussion proved to be among the highlights of this annual event.
Read More
Red Renchin

A Guide to Growing and Maintaining Your Business

Lessons that the late Red Renchin learned about developing and maintaining a successful business
“OK David, get the doors, we’re going to Willow Run.” With that, the apprentice farrier climbs out and waits for the customized Ford F250 to back out of the barn. After closing the doors, David Crandel climbs back in and fellow apprentice Chris Adickes drives the truck toward the first of three stops of the day.
Read More
Farrier Finances

Farrier Finances Toeing the Line

Data from last summer’s American Farriers Journal survey indicates the shoeing business is reflecting the country’s economic problems
Reflecting the overall economy of the United States, the average American farrier has struggled to gain financial ground over the past 2 years.
Read More
Cover

Get Paid for Driving

An e-mail survey of American Farriers Journal readers indicates that many respondents are adding trip fees, fuel charges or mileage fees to footcare invoices
Call it a trip fee, barn call, flat mileage charge, fuel surcharge or whatever. Regardless of how you define it, more farriers than ever before are looking at charging the fee as a means to keep fuel and other costs in line.
Read More

Become a Web-Savvy Farrier

Learning to use the Internet will help you become a more informed and profitable farrier
Renchin strongly suggests you use an accounting program like Quicken. In addition to software you can load on your machine, the company offers a Web-based interface.
Read More
Tom Trosin

Avoid These Costly Errors!

Paying attention to these guidelines will help you avoid costly mistakes in your footcare operation
After 22 years of shoeing, Tom Trosin maintains he’s made almost all of the mistakes a farrier could possibly make in running a business.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

View More

Current Issue

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings